PHASE 1 SECTION I
BUILDING A FOUNDATION
BUILDING A FOUNDATION
1. Section requirements: This section is composed of two elements; Fundamentals and
Required Reading. Sailors should complete Phase 1 Section I during CPO 365 Phase 1.
· Fundamentals: The fundamental element reviews the CPO MVGPs. The purpose is to provide FCPOs with an opportunity to give their perspective and understanding of the CPO MVGPs. Resources necessary to assist in learning are listed in the reference section of this guide. Experience is the key in truly understanding these fundamentals. SELs and LCPOs should expect FCPOs to satisfactorily answer all line items before providing final signatures. SELs
have the authority to provide overall guidance and set policy on who can sign line items in the fundamental section.
· Required Reading Guidance: Read the articles provided and then write personal notes on the journal page provided. Journal entries should pertain to personal thoughts and perceptions of the article and how it relates to the question provided in each reading section. SELs and LCPOs are highly encouraged to conduct group training sessions to discuss journal entries with the CPO Mess and FCPOs.
· Upon completion of both elements under Section I, Sailors will obtain necessary signatures on the CPODG section‘s completion card indicating requirements were met and completed as outlined.
2. Focus: This section is broken down into focus areas:
1 Deckplate Leadership
2 Institutional and Technical Expertise
6 Active Communication
7 Sense of Heritage
Each of these areas contains questions directly related to the MVGPs. Review each of
the section‘s questions and provide your thoughts and insight. The responses provided are based on your personal views. Do not plagiarize or copy from external sources or other individuals. You are encouraged to share your views and perspective with other FCPOs.
3. References: See the reference section for a detailed listing to assist in completing this section.
4. Guidance: Read each question and write your personal thoughts and insight. Use the blog to discuss each topic prior to obtaining any signatures. Once you have received proper mentorship and full guidance, obtain signatures from those authorized by your SEL.